LIVESTRONG AT THE YMCA
LiveStrong partners with the YMCA of the USA to promote the importance of physical activity after a cancer diagnosis. It offers a sense of community and emotional support.
What content informed this program?
Our ongoing dialogue with cancer survivors through our surveys and research led us to discover that a top concern among survivors was the difficulty of returning to physical activity after treatment. In response, LIVESTRONG partnered with the YMCA of the USA in 2007 to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a 12-week physical activity program designed to get survivors back on their feet.
Who benefits from LIVESTRONG at the YMCA?
Survivors participate in free or customized exercise regimens catered to their individual needs from certified fitness instructors. The instructors are trained in cancer survivorship, post-rehabilitation exercise, and supportive cancer care. Survivors and often their families receive a membership at the YMCA for the duration of the program.
- 12-week program with two 75-90-minute sessions per week
- Membership included during the 12 weeks of the program
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Includes places to connect with others to share in your successes and receive encouragement on low days
- Evaluation includes fitness and quality of life assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified instructors
- Requires referral and medical clearance from a physician
- Certificate of program completion